Topic Assignment 3 – Presentation

Your presentation should be based on technical papers published in refereed journals, conferences, workshops, and symposiums, and books. You should prepare slides for your presentation and the last slide is a list of references. The presentation is a literature review and should include some references from the last 10 years. You may introduce your original ideas near the end of the presentation, but they are not to make up your entire presentation.

Presenting Tip

Some tips for presenting:

• Present the topics of the papers systematically and summarize your points.
  • Cover all important concepts and ideas and ignore unimportant details.
  • Use examples and illustrations.
  • Each slide should have a point, delineated by the slide title.
  • Slides should provide visible information, meaning they are not your presentation in text, rather they a visible supplement to your talk, such as pictures, diagrams or plots.
  • There should not be too many bullet lists and the bullets list should be short, around 3 to 5 bullets.
  • If you wish to present your original ideas, do it near the end of the presentation.
  • Do not have a final slide saying “thank you” or “questions?” they give little information. Better to end with your conclusions.
  • Any materials used form others source should be reference in the slide.
  • About 35 slides, but this is a personal choice that depends on your presentation style. Some people can effectively present many slides and other people can talk forever on one slide. When I presented physics topics I calculated 2 minutes per slide, they were dense slides with formulas and graphs. Now for HCI presentations, I calculate about 1 minute per slide.
  • Rehearse, so that you can refine your slides and make sure that you say all your points, but do not rehearse too much so that your presentation is fresh.

Email Me

Post your slides in your website by the due date and send me (pastel at mtu.edu) an email informing me, so I can review them and make any suggests. The subject line of the email should be

cs5760 Topic Assignment 3

Evaluation

Your presentation will be judged on:

• Preparedness, you should be ready to present within the first 2 minutes of class.
  • Coverage of topic, breath and depth
  • Correctness
  • Fluency
  • Clarity
  • Interaction with audience, including answering questions
  • Time management, the body of the presentation should be 30 minutes and additional 10 minutes for questions.